Late School Closure Due to Weather | News
We know winter will give us snow days, but the timing of this storm today, threw some school districts off, forcing them to cancel classes while buses were out picking up students.
At 5 a.m. when the Monticello school district was deciding whether to close or stay open, the weather wasn't bad.
There was half an inch of snow on the ground, the brunt of it expected to fall around 9 a.m,. when kids would have been in class.
But by 7 o'clock things changed, and the snow was coming down hard.
"The bus drivers went from everything is okay, to I'm getting stuck, I'm not able to stop at stop signs," said Superintendent Jim Johnson.
The district canceled classes.
The middle and high school students already at school were bused back home.
The younger kids were never picked up.
The district apologized for the late cancellation, knowing it was hard on parents, but said they did it to keep students safe.
Buffalo, Big Lake and St. Michael-Albertville schools did the same thing.
This is the third snow day this year for Monticello, all of them have been since March 1.
Upcoming Events near Wright County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Soldier Surprise: Mom Overjoyed on 5th Anniversary of Son's Death
- Apple Valley Man Charged with Stealing $113k from his own Youth Sports Association
- Twin Cities Premium Outlets Announces 30 New Stores Ahead of Opening
- Future of the Mississippi River is up for Debate
- Fire Damages Roof of Inver Grove Heights Elementary School
- Sheriff: Big Lake Man Threatened to Shoot Neighbor, Arrested after Standoff
- Sherburne Co. Residents Encouraged to Take Broadband Survey
- Northstar Link to Provide Service for All-Star Game Festivities
- Community Meetings Offer Parents Info, Insight into Sherburne Co. Drug Use
- Zimmerman Man in Critical Condition after Firework Explodes in Hand